- This event has passed.
Empowering Pharmacy Based Community Health Workers
Wednesday, September 21st 2022
7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Just like multiple medications can interact and lead to poor health outcomes, life experiences can interact and do the same. These experiences are called Social Determinants of Health (SDoH), and today it seems everyone in health care is scrambling to find solutions that help overcome SDoH barriers. Who knew that community pharmacies were sitting on a SDoH solution all this time. Local pharmacy technicians who can be cross trained as Community Health Workers (CHWs) are the ultimate last mile of care for vulnerable, hard to reach patients in the community. Why? Because we know these patients, we see them at the grocery store, at community events, and most importantly interacting with our pharmacy staff. Soon we will have nine pharmacy technicians on staff cross trained as CHWs, and it seems with each new CHW we find a new payer opportunity. This approach has been a game changer for our pharmacy practices and now we’re seeing more and more pharmacies adopt the model. I think it’s a great place for pharmacy to be, and I firmly believe we’ve saved local lives because of it!
- Identify social determinants of health (SDoH)
- Explain how certain social determinants of health can be barriers to optimizing care
- Discuss the tools available that can be employed by pharmacy personnel to improve patient care services in community pharmacies
- Explain what a Community Health Worker does and their role in helping patients overcome SDoH barriers
- Define social determinants of health (SDoH)
- Describe how pharmacy technicians can impact social determinants of health
- Recognize the role of Community Health Workers (CHWs) in the pharmacy setting
Activity Type: Knowledge
Contact Hours: 1.0
Tripp Logan, PharmD
SEMO Rx Pharmacies & Services
VPhA Members: FREE
The Zoom link will be sent out to all registered attendees on the 20th
Registration is now closed.