APhA’s Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services Certificate Program
February 12 and 13, 2021
Take advantage of special member pricing from now until November 20, 2020!
VPhA Members: $49!!
Non-Members: $399 (if you become a member and take advantage of the special pricing, you’ll have access to preferred pricing for ALL of our events!)
APhA’s Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services certificate training program (4th Edition) presents a systematic approach for developing, implementing, delivering, and sustaining MTM services. It includes an overview of the marketplace for delivering MTM services, guidance for implementing MTM services in pharmacy practice, a review of the essential skills and knowledge needed for performing MTM successfully, and an organized process for identifying medication-related problems. The purpose of this certificate training program is to prepare pharmacists to improve medication use through the delivery of MTM services in a variety of practice settings.
- Advance public health and patient care through improved medication use
- Provide training to enhance pharmacists’ ability to effectively provide MTM services
- Motivate increased numbers of pharmacists to establish MTM services
- Communicate benchmark practices for providing MTM services
APhA’s Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services certificate training program has three components: online interactive self-study with assessment; the live seminar with online evaluation; and post-seminar case exercise. A Certificate of Achievement will be awarded to participants who successfully complete all program components.
Key Learning Objectives of the Live Training Seminar:
At the completion of this activity, the participant will be able to:
- Conduct a thorough medication therapy review (MTR)
- When interviewing a patient, employ effective communication skills to overcome communication barriers
- Complete a personal medication record (PMR)
- Develop a medication-related action plan (MAP)
- Document medication therapy management (MTM) services in a manner that allows for evaluating patient progress, billing, and tracking clinical and financial outcomes
- Create a plan for patient follow-up
- Perform the following tasks, given a patient case that includes one or more medications:
- Assess patient-specific data and issues, and interpret these findings to identify medication-related problems
- Develop a patient problem list and a list of the patient’s medication-related problems
- Establish goals of therapy for each medical condition and medication-related problem identified
- Make recommendations for resolving situations in which a patient’s medications are potentially inappropriate
- Discuss the elements of an effective medication therapy recommendation to another health care practitioner
- Describe the medication use concerns and adverse drug events that are more common in elderly patients
- Account for pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic changes when reviewing an elderly person’s medication regimen
- List important considerations when determining the operations of an MTM service
- Identify potential payers for MTM services
- Explain how to bill for MTM services using CPT codes
- Describe strategies for marketing MTM services
- Describe emerging opportunities for delivering MTM services
For a complete list of learning objectives and for all APhA accreditation information and policies, please visit APhA’s website, https://www.pharmacist.com/delivering-medication-therapy-management-services.
- Welcome, Introductions and Acknowledgements
- The MTM Care Process
- Patient Communication During MTM Encounters
- Cultural Sensitivity
- Managing Special Needs of Elderly Patients
- Lunch Break
- Case Studies
- MTM Implementation: Financial and Operational Issues
- Next Steps and Take Home Points
Please see above for special pricing for this program.
Sarah Parnapy Jawaid
Please note: Once the online program code has been redeemed, no refund will be issued.
If the participant has redeemed the online program code, but fails to complete either the self-study or the live component of the program, the participant will not receive credit for participation in the program, will not receive a certificate of completion and will be required to register for a later program, pay an additional registration fee and retake the program at a later date.
Once the participant has redeemed the online program code, the participant shall be responsible for all activity thereafter. If a participant redeems a code or redeems a code more than once, the participant will be charged a fee for each additional code redeemed ($125).
On the day of the seminar, participants will receive directions to complete their evaluation & post cases outside of class. Please note: the evaluation will need to be completed within a few days of the program. There will be a separate deadline for the completion of the post case activity.
Refunds, less a $75 handling charge, will be issued for written cancellation requests received by VPhA no later than two weeks before the program date. If a cancellation is received within two weeks of the program date, or if the online program code has already been redeemed, no refund will be issued.
Continuing Pharmacy Education (CPE) Information and Activity Completion Requirements
The American Pharmacists Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
Initial release date: 07/01/2018; expiration date: 07/01/2021
Activity Type: Practice-based
Target Audience: Pharmacists in all practice settings
- Successful completion of the self-study component involves passing the self-study assessment with a grade of 70% or higher and will result in 10 contact hours of CPE credit (1.0 CEUs). ACPE Universal Activity Number: 0202-9999-18-164-H04-P.
- Successful completion of the live seminar component involves attending the full live seminar and completing the online evaluation. Successful completion of this component will result in 8 contact hours of CPE credit (0.8 CEU). ACPE Universal Activity Number: 0202-9999-18-165-L04-P
- Successful completion of the post seminar case exercise component involves completing 3 post cases and submitting an online attestation statement of completion. Successful completion of this component will result in 3 contact hours of CPE credit (0.3 CEU). ACPE Universal Activity Number: 0202-9999-18-166-H04-P
- If you are a Minnesota Pharmacist and want to enroll in the APhA MTM certificate training, please contact us at the time of enrolling.
- Successful completion of the post seminar case exercise component for Minnesota pharmacists involves completing 12 post cases and submitting an online attestation statement of completion. Successful completion of this component will result in 12 contact hours of CPE credit (1.2 CEU). ACPE UAN: 0202-9999-18-167-H04-P
Once credit is claimed, Statements of Credit will be available online within 24 hours on participant’s CPE Monitor profile at www.nabp.net. The Certificate of Achievement will be available online upon successful completion of the necessary activity requirements on the participant’s “My Training” page on www.pharmacist.com
Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services: A Certificate Training Program for Pharmacists was originally created in 2007 by the American Pharmacists Association and the American Society of Consultant Pharmacists. Copyright © 2018 by the American Pharmacists Association.