The presentation will focus on areas where pharmacy can play key pivotal roles in the healthcare delivery to the Substance Use Disorder patient. Many patients are not completely ready to surrender substance use and as healthcare providers, we need to accept this. We need to meet the patient “where they are” and provide all we can to improve their quality of life.
- Review the definition and background of harm reduction in the management of patients with substance use disorders (SUDs)
- Discuss how to reduce societal stigma surrounding treatment and harm reduction associated with SUDs
- Describe case examples of patients who benefit from low threshold or harm reduction care to keep them engaged, and to lower the risks associated with ongoing substance use
- Examine the comprehensive harm reduction and syringe services programs developed by the Virginia Department of Health
- Identify opportunities for integrating harm reduction into your own practice
Charlie Tarasidis, PharmD
Pharmacy Innovation and Outreach
Breanne Forbes Hubbard, MPH
Population Health Manager
Mount Rogers Health District, VDH
Shannon Danny Clawson, MPH
Virginia Harm Reduction Coalition
VPhA Member: $20
Click here to register if cannot see the LecturePanda button below.